Sunday, March 4, 2012

Church and the Family

While living and working the Double Pipe Creek Farm, George Henry and his wife Catherine, had eight children. George Washington Waesche was born 31 Oct, 1829, on the Wakefield Valley Farm while the rest were born after the Double Pipe Creek purchase.
William Henry Waesche (21 Feb 1832)
John Frederick (5 Oct 1834)
Joseph Abraham (6 Feb 1837)
Mary Elizabeth (24 Jul 1839)
Thomas Repold 8 Oct 1841
Charles Albert (8 Jan 1844)
Leonard Randolph (31 Mar 1846
James Theodore (4 Apr 1849)
All of the children lived to adulthood but Mary Elizabeth, who died after just two days of her birth. Short accounts of their lives will come later in the course of the blog.

In 1835, George Henry donated about two acres of the farm for a Methodist Episcopal church and cemetery to be built and used by the community. The church was nicknamed Waesche's Church and was used until 1929. Margaret B. recounted:
The stone building was well preserved until that date ... About this time, the three living sons, Charles, Randolph, and Theodore each rescued one of the original pews. Rather hard narrow seats, with straight backs. The writer sat in one, found it uncomfortable, and not a restful place for napping nor were the sermons of those days conducive to restful sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment